Week of October 17, 2022 KPI Summary
- This week, the industry experienced 6 ETF launches and 2 closures, shifting the 1-year Open-to-Close ratio to 3.21 and total US ETFs to 3,046.
- This week’s 1-week change in assets of 3.24% is the highest since July 31, 2022 KPIs, which was 12 weeks ago and a 3.50% change. At that time, the total assets were $6.62 Trillion compared to $6.13 Trillion today.
- When looking back at KPIs from 1 year ago (10/24/21), here are some other positive metrics that stand out:
- Total ETFs have increased +347, almost one per day.
- There are +51 issuers, and in fact, +115 over a 2-year timeline, which is a 75% gain while the number of ETFs has only increased 32% over the same time period (2-years).
- This attests to last week’s issuer check-in. While the majority of assets are with the top-20 issuers, there are new issuers every week bringing innovative funds into the ETF universe, despite varying market cycles.
- Revenue from Active ETFs has increased from 9.73% to 12.33% of the industry today, a trend we have touched on throughout 2022.
- The tracked indexes had similar experiences in the past week. The Toroso ETF Industry Index was up 4.24% while the S&P Financial Select Sector Index trailed at 3.93%.
KraneShares Electrification Metals Strategy ETF (ticker: KMET)
EA Bridgeway Blue Chip ETF (ticker: BBLU)
FundX Aggressive ETF (ticker: XNAV)
FundX ETF (ticker: XCOR)
VanEck® Green Infrastructure ETF (ticker: RNEW)
FT Cboe Vest Rising Dividend Achievers Target Income ETF (ticker: RDVI)
WBI BullBear Global Income ETF (ticker: WBII)
WBI BullBear Trend Switch US 3000 Total Return ETF (ticker: WBIT)
FundX Aggressive Upgrader Fund (ticker: HOTFX)
became FundX Aggressive ETF (ticker: XNAV)
FundX Upgrader Fund (ticker: FUNDX)
became FundX ETF (ticker: XCOR)
TETF.Index Performance vs. S&P Financial Select Sector Index
(as of October 21, 2022)
TETF.Index Performance vs. Other Leading Financial Indices
(March 31, 2017 through October 21, 2022)
Source: Morningstar Direct
Why Follow the ETF Industry KPIs
The team at Toroso Investments began tracking the ETF Industry Key Performance Indicators (KPI's) in the early 2000's and have been consistently reporting on, and analyzing these metrics ever since. The table above was the impetus for the creation of the TETF.Index, the index that tracks the ETF industry. Each week, we will share the statistics we believe to be the most useful for identifying industry trends, in addition to the performance of the TEFT.Index.
Past performance is no guarantee of future returns. This article is for informational and educational purposes only; is not intended to constitute legal, tax, accounting or investment advice; and does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security or service. Furthermore, the Indexes shown above are not investable. While Toroso has gathered the information presented from sources that it believes to be reliable, Toroso cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information presented and the information presented should not be relied upon as such. Any opinions expressed are Toroso’s opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any affiliates or related persons. All opinions are current only as of the date of initial publication and are subject to change without notice. All investment strategies and investments involve risk of loss, including the possible loss of all amounts invested.