Week of September 5, 2022 KPI Summary
- This week, the industry experienced 19 ETF launches and 1 closure, shifting the 1-year Open-to-Close ratio to 3.52 and total US ETFs to 3,005.
- September started with a positive week of change in assets and a number of ETF launches.
- This week, we are going to check in on the Exchanges and see how each of the big 3 have fared in 2022 thus far.
- In assets, Nasdaq has had the best performance with -8.27%, followed by CBOE at -8.95%, and lastly NYSE at -9.72% YTD.
- NYSE lost $528 Billion YTD, but still constitutes 75.1% of the total ETF assets.
- In terms of listings, NYSE has increased the most at 104 funds (5.67% increase to 1,937 total). However, Nasdaq jumped 14.4% YTD (+63 funds), closing the gap on CBOE being the second largest exchange of the 3.
- According to our Security Master, Nasdaq currently has 500 ETFs and CBOE has 566. For context, our September 13, 2020 KPIs listed Nasdaq at 403 and CBOE at 373 ETFs.
- The tracked indexes had positive experiences last week. The Toroso ETF Industry Index was up 5.06% while the S&P Financial Select Sector Index trailed at 4.42%.
Direxion Daily AMZN Bear 1X ETF (ticker: AMZD)
Direxion Daily AMZN Bull 1.5X ETF (ticker: AMZU)
Direxion Daily GOOGL Bear 1X ETF (ticker: GGLS)
Direxion Daily GOOGL Bull 1.5X ETF (ticker: GGLL)
Direxion Daily MSFT Bear 1X ETF (ticker: MSFD)
Direxion Daily MSFT Bull 1.5X ETF (ticker: MSFU)
Harbor International Compounders ETF (ticker: OSEA)
Invesco BulletShares 2030 High Yield Corporate Bond ETF (ticker: BSJU)
Invesco BulletShares 2032 Corporate Bond ETF (ticker: BSCW)
Amplify International Enhanced Dividend Income ETF (ticker: IDVO)
Defiance Daily Short Digitizing the Economy ETF (ticker: IBIT)
Emerge EMPWR Sustainable Dividend Equity ETF (ticker: EMCA)
Emerge EMPWR Sustainable Emerging Markets Equity ETF (ticker: EMCH)
Emerge EMPWR Sustainable Global Core Equity ETF (ticker: EMZA)
JPMorgan Social Advancement ETF (ticker: UPWD)
JPMorgan Sustainable Consumption ETF (ticker: CIRC)
JPMorgan Sustainable Infrastructure ETF (ticker: BLLD)
Emerge EMPWR Sustainable Select Growth Equity ETF (ticker: EMGC)
Emerge EMPWR Unified Sustainable Equity ETF (ticker: EMPW)
WShares Enhanced Gold ETF (ticker: WGLD)
AdvisorShares DoubleLine Value Equity ETF (ticker: DBLV)
became AdvisorShares Insider Advantage ETF (ticker: SURE)
TETF.Index Performance vs. S&P Financial Select Sector Index
(as of September 9, 2022)
TETF.Index Performance vs. Other Leading Financial Indices
(March 31, 2017 through September 9, 2022)
Source: Morningstar Direct
Why Follow the ETF Industry KPIs
The team at Toroso Investments began tracking the ETF Industry Key Performance Indicators (KPI's) in the early 2000's and have been consistently reporting on, and analyzing these metrics ever since. The table above was the impetus for the creation of the TETF.Index, the index that tracks the ETF industry. Each week, we will share the statistics we believe to be the most useful for identifying industry trends, in addition to the performance of the TEFT.Index.
Past performance is no guarantee of future returns. This article is for informational and educational purposes only; is not intended to constitute legal, tax, accounting or investment advice; and does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security or service. Furthermore, the Indexes shown above are not investable. While Toroso has gathered the information presented from sources that it believes to be reliable, Toroso cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information presented and the information presented should not be relied upon as such. Any opinions expressed are Toroso’s opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any affiliates or related persons. All opinions are current only as of the date of initial publication and are subject to change without notice. All investment strategies and investments involve risk of loss, including the possible loss of all amounts invested.